Did you know that only qualified students in FDK to grade 3 at Alexander Muir P.S. qualify for busing. FDK to grade 3 students who live more than 1.2 km away from our school are eligible for busing. To check to see if your child(ren) qualify for busing please visit School Bus City Website. All students at Alexander Muir in grades 4-8 are within walking distance of the school and are not eligible for busing according to the policy.
We encourage you to have your child take the school bus from the very first day of school. This will help set up morning routines and ensure that your child/ren knows where and when to be at the bus stop. Your child may have a different bus route number in the a.m. and p.m. The school will provide a bus sticker for all FDK students that can be used on your child’s backpack to identify their bus route numbers. This will be done in the first few days of school. You can find out your child’s bus route numbers by accessing the website listed above. FDK students are escorted to the and from the buses each day by Alexander Muir staff. Students in grades 1-3 are not escorted. Supervision in the bus loop is provided.
Inclement Weather and Service Cancellation
On occasion school vehicles may be cancelled due to inclement weather. Cancellation decisions will be made after consultation with safety representatives from bus companies and will be based on several factors including precipitation, air temperature, road conditions and Environment Canada forecasts. Please access local media outlets after 6:00 a.m. to receive cancellation information. NOTE if buses are cancelled in the morning they will not operate in the afternoon. If you drive your children to school you will need to pick them up at the end of the school day at 2:30 p.m.
Responsibilities – Parents /Guardians STSYR005 Revised: Jan. 2013
- Parents/Guardians are to ensure their children arrive at bus stops at least five (5) minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time. During the first two (2) weeks of September, arrival at the bus stop ten (10) minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time is advised.
- To help ensure student safety, Student Transportation Services recommends students in grades JK – 1 are met at their bus stop by a parent/guardian, and age appropriate arrangements made for all other grades. Parents/Guardians are responsible to make alternate arrangements for their children if they are unable to meet them at a bus stop.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible for the supervision and conduct of their children while at the bus stops, while being transported on a school vehicle and their safe journey to and from the bus stop.
- Parents/Guardians should be familiar with Student Responsibilities/Code of Conduct and aware that repeated student misconduct will be recorded and may result in school disciplinary action and/or loss of transportation privileges.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible for any damage caused by students to a school vehicle and to personal property at a designated bus stop.
- Parents/Guardians should familiarize themselves with the STSYR School Bus Cancellation Notice and Late Bus Notice, as communicated by schools and available at http://www.schoolbuscity.com.
You are welcome to visit School Bus City for more details about Transportation Services for both YRDSB and YCDSB or to download their useful School Bus Information
Alexander Muir P.S.